A Forever Family

About 1999

About 1999

11 August 2008

I like mine wth lettuce and tomato

OK, you are probably singing or hearing Jimmy Buffet's song (at least in your mind), but I am thinking gardens. I don't have a green thumb. In fact, I think my thumb is atrophied and black. My father had a natural talent for gardening, as does my husband. My talent leans more toward preparing what the men are able to grow.
Last year we were fortunate enough to purchase an older (built in the early 1960's) home with a little better than 2 acres of land. We like the house and love the land.
For years we had lived in a doublewide mobile home on a small plot of earth. We literally had to park very specific places to ensure that all vehicles could be moved without having to move another. I had the prime parking spot because when mama ain't happy nobody is and I needed to be closer to the house because I purchased the many groceries 3 teenage boys, a hungry husband, a young daughter and myself plus a minimum of 8 daycare kids could consume albeit I had plenty of help getting them inside. Next was the honey's spot. He paid the majority of the bills so of course he ranked second and seniority should have some privileges. The boys had to make do with what was left. One could park at an angle at the very end of the trailer while the other had to park outside of the fence beneath the overhanging branches of the pecan tree. This was only feasible after we took part of the fence down which widened the entrance and after both of my new vehicles had been run in by one or the other of our sons when they were new and unexperienced drivers.
Now we enjoy ample parking space and have little need to worry that vehicles can not be maneuvered safely from one place to another. We also have plenty of room for our pool, two outbuildings, a few other recreational vehicle are parked and a large garden. We have it all except the large garden.
Larry just has not had the time or the inclination to till the land with our small tiller. He claims the tiller has to be "tinked on" before it will even work. I was able to get him to plant a few okra seeds, 4 tomatoe plants, a mixture of lettuce and mixed greens, some onion sets, two cucumber plants, some carrots and a couple of bell pepper plants.
We had a bounty of lettuce. We have eaten lettuce on sandwiches, in salads both cool crisp lettuce and that which had hot dressing poured over it for a wilted salad. It was quite tasty and enjoyed by all. Unfortunately, it has been feast or famine. Our lettuce is gone. The feast is over.
Now we are enjoying an abundance of tomatoes. Delicious fresh from the vine. More than I care to eat. I only like tomatoes with certain foods. Now I love canning or freezing tomatoes! This morning I prepared the remaining ripened tomatoes into fresh salsa and froze the rest. I feel like a queen in the kitchen.
As for the rest of our produce. The okra is off to a slow start, but seems to be more productive so there is hope yet. The carrots have a ways to go but we will have a good amount when it is time for the "harvest". I can can some of them as well. The onions have gone to seed, the bulbs dug and dried. The cukes have been adequate but are slowing down. Lastly, the bell peppers were evidently planted in poor soil and have done very poorly. We have picked a few with long intervals between our pickings.
Last year we were fortunate to have plenty of blueberries. This year was not as plentiful thanks to the very hungry birds. Our apples are inedible unless they are cooked with plenty of sugar and they are not very plentiful either, but who cares since they aren't very tasty anyway! Last year we missed our prolific pecan tree (the one the boys had to park their truck beneath). This year it looks as if the pecan trees we have hear will produce enough pecans for one pie or several garnishments unless we have a windstorm or hurricane before they fully ripen.
We have been blessed to enjoy the fruits of our labors (or the labors of those who lived here before us). Next year I want a real garden with rows and rows of vegetables. I want to see the results line the shelves of my cupboard and freezer. I want to utilize a decent portion of the land we have been able to acquire.
Perhaps we will plant in hay bales if necessary! What are those sayings? Oh yeah, "Where there is a will there is a way" and again, "If mama ain't happy..." . Fortunately, mama is usually kept happy!

3 comments:

Kelli said...

We tried a garden at our house. Wasn't very good soil. I bet you'll have much better luck!Oh and if you have any tomatos left dehydrate them! They are fabulous in sauce, soups,stews, and chilis all winter long!

Marla G~Ma of 15 said...

No garden here either. We planted in pots this year and we couldn't keep enough water in them. We've had a few hot peppers, very few bell peppers some tomatos enough for one about everyday.But NO cukes, squash or cantalope. But I have enough $$ that I can buy whatever we want. So I'm thankful for that. Count your blessings.....

Marla G~Ma of 15 said...

Ok this is the way I sign in to my grandkids. I'm not your grandma, I'm your older sister,Marla. I'm not old enough to be your grandma. I bet you got a kick out of this!!!

Almost All of Us

Almost All of Us
Reis and Kayla were married in an outdoor ceremony at our home. The weather had been really gloomy and wet, but the sun came out in time for the ceremony.

Kayla and Reis

Kayla and Reis
Reis and Kayla are two of the most kind individuals you could ever meet. We welcome Kayla in our family. She is a lovely addition. When You Say Nothing At All was chosen for their wedding song. Click their image to listen.

Once upon a half-pint

Once upon a half-pint
Rianne-Kelly was our last child. She was and is such a beauty. Her mood can change from warm to icy in a fraction of a second. She can be outspoken at times. Often referred to as our social butterfly.

Sweet Baby

Sweet Baby
Who can forget the way a baby feels as they lie against your chest or nestle in the bend of your arm? Who would ever want to forget the sweet smell of a newborn? Erica brings back a flood of memories from our own children while she creates impressions and memories that will last a lifetime in our hearts and minds.

Kayla

Kayla
So young and fresh, like a spring breeze. Kayla is a sweetheart. She is Reis' chosen sweetheart. I hope they will be very happy together.

Reis

Reis
Reis enjoys hunting, hunting and hunting. If there is no hunting in heaven I'm not sure Reis wants to go there! Click on image to hear a cute song about hunting.

Reid

Reid
Reid loves hunting as much as his brother does. This is one thing Reid does have in common with his father. Click on image

Erica

Erica
Just like the lights on a christmas tree our Christmas Angel has brought a new light into our lives. The circle of life continues and she lights up our lives in countless ways. Click on Our Christmas Angel to hear Leanne Rimes sing You Light Up My Life.

Reid, Reis and Rianne-Kelly

Reid, Reis and Rianne-Kelly
Rianne-Kell was about 4 and her brothers were about 12 in this picture. It was taken on Christmas morning.

Welcome Little One

Welcome Little One
An unexpected and untimely entrance into our family has proven to be wonderful.

Brothers

Brothers
These two have always been close. I guess that it is a good since they are twins. They have shared many hours together. I hope they will always be close.

Larry

Larry
Larry enjoys hunting. He has spent lots of time teaching the boys all about hunting. Some of his other interests include gardening and firefighting.